Ohio State Hosts Cincinnati Tuesday in Last Non-Conference Matchup of Regular Season
May 13, 2014
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State baseball team wraps up its non-conference slate with a matchup against Cincinnati at 6:35 p.m. Tuesday at Nick Swisher Field at Bill Davis Stadium.
Live stats and a link to a live video stream can be found on the baseball schedule page at OhioStateBuckeyes.com or fans can follow twitter.com/OhioState_BASE for updates.
OHIO STATE OF LATE
Tanner Tully was excellent in the opener, scattering seven hits while striking out three in his first-career complete-game shutout.
ON THE BUMP
OSU VS. MICHIGAN NOTES
SOME MORE NOTES
- The Buckeyes are 23-2 when leading after seven innings and 21-5 when outhitting their opponent.
- Ohio State is 26-11 when limiting opponents to five runs or less and 23-11 when it scores first.
- Josh Dezse is hitting .343 with six doubles, five home runs, 21 RBI, 14 runs scored and 10 walks in 20 Big Ten contests.
- Connor Sabanosh is hitting .400 (16-for-50) with runners on base.
- Curtiss Irving is limiting opponents to a .189 average (7-for-37) with a runner on base.
- Ohio State is outscoring its opponents 67-40 in the first two innings.
- Ohio State is tied for 18th nationally with seven shuouts as a team.
- Greg Greve has gone 4-2 with a 2.51 ERA in 46.2 innings pitched over seven Big Ten starts.
- Tanner Tully has now allowed just six walks in 80.1 innings pitched this season. The freshman is second nationally with 0.67 walks per nine innings and 11th with a 7-to-1 strikeout-to-walk ratio.
- Tully has pitched at least 7.0 innings in all seven of his starts in Big Ten play.
- Tim Wetzel has made 200 career starts and drawn 94 walks in that span to rank 20th on the Ohio State all-time list.
- Trace Dempsey has tallied 25 career saves to rank third in Ohio State history behing Jake Hale (29) and Cory Cox (27).
BUCKEYES IN THE BIG TEN
Individually, multiple Buckeyes rank in the Top 10 in Big Ten offensive categories. Troy Kuhn is tied for fourth with six home runs, tied for eighth with 33 RBI, tied for sixth with 14 doubles, tied for ninth with 37 runs scored and tied sixth after getting hit 10 times. Pat Porter is tied for second with four triples while Josh Dezse is tied for sixth with five home runs.
Tanner Tully leads the Big Ten with a 1.79 ERA, is tied for fourth with six wins and ranks ninth with a .241 opposing batting average and 80.1 innings pitched while Zach Farmer also is tied fourth with six wins. Trace Dempsey is sixth with seven saves while Greg Greve is tied for fourth with six wins.
The Buckeyes hold a 66-24-2 lead in the all-time series with the Bearcats.
DEMPSEY, DEZSE PRESEASON ALL-AMERICANS
Dempsey, also named an NCBWA preseason All-American, garnered multiple All-America laurels a season ago after he went 3-0 with a 1.02 ERA and 17 saves in 31 appearances. A first team All-Big Ten selection from Huntington, W.Va., Dempsey struck out 28 and allowed opponents to hit .180 in 35.1 innings pitched. His 17 saves were the most in the Big Ten and finished one shy of tying Jake Hale’s Big Ten and Ohio State record of 18 set in 2009. Dempsey went 30.1 innings without allowing an earned run between Feb. 17 and May 17.
Dezse, a redshirt junior this season, sat out the 2013 season with a stress reaction in his back. As a sophomore in 2012, Dezse finished second on the team with a .306 batting average and five home runs to go along with nine doubles, 33 RBI and 31 runs scored. The Powell, Ohio, native also made 24 appearances on the mound, going 1-2 with a 2.86 ERA and tied for third in the Big Ten with seven saves as he allowed opponents to hit a paltry .188.
TRIO NAMED 2014 CAPTAINS
B1G TOURNAMENT EXPANDS TO EIGHT
The tournament’s double-elimination format will culminate with a single championship game on Sunday, with the winner earning the tournament title and the conference’s automatic berth to the NCAA Championship. All eight teams will begin play in one of two brackets, with the No. 1, No. 4, No. 5 and No. 8 seeds appearing in one bracket and the No. 2, No. 3, No. 6 and No. 7 seeds appearing in the other bracket.
Season tickets, Grand Slam Big Ten packages and Mini Plan package information can be found at OhioStateBuckeyes.com.
HEAD COACH Greg Beals
18th SEASON AT BILL DAVIS STADIUM