April 18, 2013
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State baseball team begins a seven-game homestand with a three-game Big Ten set this weekend against Illinois. Friday’s opener is slated for 6:35 p.m. with Saturday’s game at 3:05 p.m. and Sunday’s finale at 12:05 p.m.
OHIO STATE OF LATE
After winning a series over the weekend at Nebraska, the Buckeyes fell to Cincinnati, 5-3, Wednesday night at Marge Schott Stadium.
ON THE BUMP
Fri.: RHP Jaron Long (4-3, 3.53)
vs. RHP Kevin Johnson (5-2, 2.52)
Sat.: RHP Brad Goldberg (5-0, 2.42)
vs. RHP John Kravetz (3-1, 4.72)
Sun.: LHP Brian King (5-4, 2.34)
vs. RHP John Castellanos (2-0, 3.47)
Illinois is 23-10 on the season, 5-4 in Big Ten play. Justin Parr leads the Illini with a .440 average with 10 doubles, three triples, four home runs, 36 RBI and 31 runs scored. Kevin Johnson is 5-2 with a 2.52 ERA and 43 strikeouts in 60.2 innings pitched on the mound.
Ohio State holds a 101-95-2 advantage in the all-time series after dropping a series last year in Champaign.
BUCKEYES IN THE BIG TEN
Entering the weekend, Ohio State is fifth in the Big Ten with a 7-5 record in conference play, 23-12 overall. The Buckeyes rank in multiple offensive categories including runs scored (185, 4th), stolen bases (53, 3rd), triples (11, t-1st) and home runs (10, t-3rd). On the mound, Ohio State ranks in ERA (2.68, 2nd), saves (12, 1st), walks allowed (80, 1st), opposing batting average (.231, 2nd) and strikeouts (236, 3rd). The Buckeyes also are second with a .976 fielding percentage.
Individually, Pat Porter is tied fifth with 28 runs scored, tied for first with Kirby Pellant with three triples and tied for seventh with nine doubles. Joe Ciamacco is tied for sixth with 14 stolen bases, Jacob Bosiokovic is tied for 8th with three home runs and Brad Hallberg is tied for ninth with 24 RBI.
Brad Goldberg sits tied for fifth in the conference with 42 strikeouts, fourth with a .203 opposing batting average and 10th with a 2.42 ERA. Brian King sith sixth with a .211 opposing batting average, ninth with a 2.34 ERA and is tied with Goldberg for third in the conference with five wins. King and Jaron Long are first and fifth in the conference, respectively, in innings pitched while Trace Dempsey leads the Big Ten with 11 saves and 19 appearances.
BUCKS EARN B1G WEEKLY HONORS
Brian King - PiOW (4/15)
Kirby Pellant - PlOW (3/25)
Jacob Bosiokovic - FOW (3/11)
Aaron Gretz - PlOW (2/25)
Brad Goldberg - PiOW (2/25)
Troy Kuhn - FOW (2/25)
Brad Goldberg - PiOW (2/18)
NEBRASKA, CINCINNATI NOTES
• The series marked the Buckeyes first trip to take on the Huskers in Lincoln.
• Kirby Pellant, Ryan Cypret, Pat Porter and Jacob Bosiokovic each had two hits for the Buckeyes in the finale. Porter’s multi-hit game was his team-high 12th of the season.
• Ciamacco is now 14-for-14 in stolen base attempts this season and 30-for-30 for his career after another steal in the Saturday game.
• With the win Sunday, the Buckeyes are now 19-2 when leading after six innings and 22-3 when scoring more than two runs.
• Brian King pitched well for the second-consecutive outing, tossing 7.0 shutout innings, allowing three hits while striking out three.
• Ohio State turned three double plays in the opener against the Huskers.
• Ryan Cypret, Pat Porter and Brad Hallberg each extended their hitting streaks to six games against the Bearcats.
• Jake Post tied his career high with four strikeouts at Cincinnati and has achieved that feat in each of his last four starts. In his last three starts, Post has pitched 14.0 scoreless innings, allowing six hits while striking out 12 and not walking a batter.
• Kirby Pellant tallied his 10th multi-hit game of the season and 22nd of his career against Cincinnati.
SOME MORE NOTES
• Pat Porter leads the team with nine doubles after tallying four a season ago.
• Ohio State is getting quality starts out of its rotation of Long, Goldberg and King. The trio has averaged over six innings per start and posted a 2.77 ERA.
• The Buckeyes are 19-2 when leading after six innings and 18-4 when they score first.
• Ohio State is 22-4 when scoring more than two runs and 18-1 when outhitting the opponent.
• The Buckeyes have buckled down with runners on base, allowing opponents to hit just .228.
• Trace Dempsey is tied for fourth nationally and leads the Big Ten with 11 saves. He’s posted a 0.40 ERA while striking out 18 in 22.1 innings pitched. Dempsey has not allowed an earned run over his last 20.1 innings.
• Joe Ciamacco is a perfect 14-for-14 in stolen base attempts in 2013 to move his career total to 30-for-30.
• Kirby Pellant is batting .432 with two doubles, a triple, a home run, 10 runs scored and six RBI in Big Ten play.
Dezse finished second on the team with a .306 batting average and five home runs to go along with nine doubles, 33 RBI and 31 runs scored a season ago. The Powell, Ohio, native also made 24 appearances on the mound, going 1-2 with a 2.86 ERA and tied for third in the Big Ten with seven saves as he allowed opponents to hit a paltry .188.
BUCKS PICKED FOURTH IN PRESEASON POLL
Ohio State was selected fourth in the Big Ten preseason coaches’ poll, the conference office announced Feb. 12. In addition, Josh Dezse, Brad Goldberg and Jaron Long have been named players to watch.
Indiana enters the season as the conference favorite followed by Nebraska, Michigan State, Ohio State, Minnesota and Illinois.
HEAD COACH Greg Beals
Head coach Greg Beals is the 11th head coach in Ohio State history and only the fourth in the last 60 years. He has a 325-268 career record and is in his 11th season as a collegiate head coach.
17th SEASON AT BILL DAVIS STADIUM
Ohio State is 270-133 all-time at Bill Davis Stadium for a fine .670 winning percentage. Ohio State is 151-83 vs. the Big Ten Conference at home.
Ohio State continues its homestand with a three-game set against Penn State beginning next Friday at Nick Swisher Field at Bill Davis Stadium.
Buckeyes Unveil 2017 Captains
A Year For The Boys 💍
Buckeyes Announce 2017 Schedule