Ohio State Squares Off with Nebraska for Three in Lincoln
April 3, 2014
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State baseball team travels to Lincoln for a three-game series starting Friday at Hawks Field at Haymarket Park. The opener is slated for 7:35 p.m. ET Friday with the middle game at 3:05 p.m. ET Saturday and the finale at 2:05 p.m. ET Sunday.
OHIO STATE OF LATE
Ohio State topped Ohio, 11-6, Tuesday before picking up a 7-2 win over Toledo Wednesday. The Buckeyes picked up 31 hits in the two games.
ON THE BUMP
Fri.: LHP Ryan Riga (3-1, 3.52 ERA)
vs. RHP Christian DeLeon (2-2, 3.00)
Sat.: LHP Tanner Tully (3-1, 2.06)
vs. RHP Chance Sinclair (4-1, 1.28)
Sun.: RHP Greg Greve (3-2, 5.26)
vs. LHP Aaron Bummer (3-2, 5.46)
OSU VS. OHIO, TOLEDO NOTES
- Troy Kuhn tallied his team-high 11th multi-hit game of the season Wednesday.
- Trace Dempsey made his third-career start Tuesday against Ohio. He made two starts as a freshman in 2012 and appeared solely out of the bullpen a year ago.
- Every Buckeye starter reached base safely against the Bobcats.
- The 19 hits for the Buckeyes Tuesday were the most since Ohio State pounded out 20 hits in a 14-9 loss to Army March 23, 2011.
- The 11 runs scored for the Buckeyes Tuesday marked a season high and marked the most for Ohio State since an 11-0 win over Harvard March 8 of last season.
- Ronnie Dawson notched his 10th multi-hit game of the season Wednesday while Jacob Bosiokovic earned his eighth, Pat Porter recorded his sixth and Connor Sabanosh picked up his fourth.
SOME MORE NOTES
- The Buckeyes are 13-0 when leading after seven innings and 14-2 when outhitting their opponent.
- Ohio State is 17-2 when limiting opponents to five runs or less and 13-4 when it scores first.
- Michael Horejsei is limiting opponents to a .091 average (1-for-11) with runners on base while Tyler Giannonatti has let opponents hit .154 (4-for-26) in the same situation.
- Ronnie Dawson is hitting .414 (12-for-29) with runners in scoring position.
- Zach Farmer has allowed one earned run while striking out 13 in 14.1 innings pitched over his last three starts.
- Troy Kuhn has eight multi-hit games in his last 12 starts, upping his average from .246 to .300 over that span, while Ryan Leffel is 8-for-15 with two doubles, and five runs scored over his last four games.
BUCKEYES IN THE BIG TEN
Offensively, Ohio State ranks near the top of the Big Ten in runs scored (3rd, 145), doubles (3rd, 45), slugging percentage (3rd, .368), triples (2nd, 10) and home runs (t-3rd, 9). On the mound, the Buckeyes rank in strikeouts (t-2nd, 168) and saves (t-2nd, 8).
Individually, multiple Buckeyes rank in the Top 10 in Big Ten offensive categories. Ronnie Dawson sits seventh with a .367 average while Troy Kuhn is tied for first with four home runs, fourth with a .500 slugging percentage, tied for sixth with 20 RBI, tied for second with 22 runs scored, tied for fourth with eight doubles and tied for the Big Ten lead after getting hit nine times.
The Huskers enter the weekend with a 16-13 record, 1-2 in conference play. Ryan Boldt leads Nebraska offensively with a .340 average with seven doubles, three triples and 20 runs scored while Chance Sinclair is 4-1 with a 1.28 ERA in 42.1 innings pitched over seven starts.
Ohio State holds a 6-5 lead in the all-time series with Nebraska after winning three of five games last season.
DEMPSEY, DEZSE PRESEASON ALL-AMERICANS
Trace Dempsey and Josh Dezse have been named third team preseason All-Americans by Louisville Slugger and Collegiate Baseball. Dempsey was named a third team relief pitcher while Dezse earned third team honors as a utility player.
Dempsey, also named an NCBWA preseason All-American, garnered multiple All-America laurels a season ago after he went 3-0 with a 1.02 ERA and 17 saves in 31 appearances. A first team All-Big Ten selection from Huntington, W. Va., Dempsey struck out 28 and allowed opponents to hit .180 in 35.1 innings pitched. His 17 saves were the most in the Big Ten and finished one shy of tying Jake Hale’s Big Ten and Ohio State record of 18 set in 2009. Dempsey went 30.1 innings without allowing an earned run between Feb. 17 and May 17.
Dezse, a redshirt junior this season, sat out the 2013 season with a stress reaction in his back. As a sophomore in 2012, Dezse finished second on the team with a .306 batting average and five home runs to go along with nine doubles, 33 RBI and 31 runs scored. The Powell, Ohio, native also made 24 appearances on the mound, going 1-2 with a 2.86 ERA and tied for third in the Big Ten with seven saves as he allowed opponents to hit a paltry .188.
BUCKS PICKED THIRD IN PRESEASON POLL
Ohio State has been selected third in the Big Ten preseason coaches’ poll, the conference office announced Feb. 12. In addition, Trace Dempsey, Josh Dezse and Pat Porter have been named players to watch in the conference.
Indiana enters the season as the conference favorite followed by Nebraska, Ohio State and Michigan State. Illinois and Michigan were picked in a tie for fifth.
TRIO NAMED 2014 CAPTAINS
Josh Dezse, Greg Greve and Tim Wetzel have been named captains of the 2014 Ohio State baseball team, head coach Greg Beals announced Feb. 7. The trio, selected as captains by their teammates, has combined to appear in 318 career games entering 2014.
B1G TOURNAMENT EXPANDS TO EIGHT
The conference office announced Feb. 7 that the Big Ten Baseball Tournament will feature an eight-team field for the first time in conference history, beginning with the 2014 event. The 2014 Big Ten Baseball Tournament will be held May 21-25 at TD Ameritrade Park in Omaha, Neb., home of the College World Series.
The tournament’s double-elimination format will culminate with a single championship game on Sunday, with the winner earning the tournament title and the conference’s automatic berth to the NCAA Championship. All eight teams will begin play in one of two brackets, with the No. 1, No. 4, No. 5 and No. 8 seeds appearing in one bracket and the No. 2, No. 3, No. 6 and No. 7 seeds appearing in the other bracket.
Admission is $11 for adults and $8 for seniors/youth in chairback reserved seats and $8 for adults and $5 for seniors/youth in general admission seating with kids 6 and under free of charge. Ohio State students are free with a valid Buck-ID. Tickets are available at OhioStateBuckeyes.com and group tickets (10 or more) are also available starting at $4 when purchased in advance. Service fees may apply. For more information, contact Ohio State Ticket Sales at 1-800-GOBUCKS (select option 2) or at AthleticSales@osu.edu.
Season tickets, Grand Slam Big Ten packages and Mini Plan package information can be found at OhioStateBuckeyes.com.
HEAD COACH Greg Beals
Head coach Greg Beals is the 11th head coach in Ohio State history and only the fourth in the last 60 years. He has a 355-289 career record and is in his 12th season as a collegiate head coach.
18th SEASON AT BILL DAVIS STADIUM
Ohio State is 289-145 all-time at Bill Davis Stadium for a fine .670 winning percentage. Ohio State is 159-90 vs. the Big Ten Conference at home.
Ohio State hosts Eastern Michigan at 6:35 p.m. Tuesday and Dayton at 6:35 p.m. Wednesday at Nick Swisher Field at Bill Davis Stadium.
Summer Ball Buckeyes 2016
Dawson Claims Another All-American Honor