April 1, 2013
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State baseball team hosts Youngstown State Tuesday and Miami Wednesday at Nick Swisher Field at Bill Davis Stadium. Both games are slated for 6:35 p.m.
OHIO STATE OF LATE
Ohio State dropped a series against Michigan State over the weekend in Columbus. The Spartans won the first game, 8-7, before the Buckeyes took the middle game, 8-3, and Michigan State came back to win the rubber game, 7-2.
SCOUTING YOUNGSTOWN STATE
Youngstown State enters the week with a 7-18 record after taking two of three games at Wright State over the weekend. Drew Dosch leads the Penguins with a .330 average with nine doubles, three triples, two home runs and 18 runs scored.
Ohio State holds an 11-2 advantage in the all-time series with Youngstown State.
Miami is 12-11 on the season after winning a series over the weekend at Toledo. Matt Honchel leads the RedHawks with a .365 average with six doubles, a triple and 24 runs scored.
Ohio State holds a 30-16 lead in the all-time series with the RedHawks after picking up a 9-2 win in Oxford last season.
BUCKEYES IN THE BIG TEN
Entering the week, Ohio State is tied for third in the Big Ten with a 4-2 record in conference play, 16-8 overall. The Buckeyes rank among the top offensive teams in the Big Ten including batting average (.290, 3rd), slugging percentage (.390, 3rd), runs scored (144, 3rd), stolen bases (42, 3rd), on-base percentage (.369, 4th), triples (9, t-2nd) and home runs (8, 4th). On the mound, Ohio State ranks in ERA (2.64, 2nd), saves (9, 1st), walks allowed (65, 2nd), opposing batting average (.227, 1st) and strikeouts (155, 4th).
Individually, Pat Porter, Kirby Pellant and Ryan Cypret are tied for second with two triples, Jacob Bosiokovic is tied for fifth with three home runs and Joe Ciamacco is tied for fourth with 11 stolen bases and eighth with a .444 on-base percentage. Porter is tied for fourth with 23 runs scored and eighth with a .495 slugging percentage while Aaron Gretz is tied for 10th with seven doubles and tied for sixth with 14 walks.
Brad Goldberg sits third in the conference with 35 strikeouts and a .184 opposing batting average and sixth with a 1.77 ERA. Goldberg, Jaron Long and Brian King are tied for fourth with four wins while Long and King sit second and third, respectively, in innings pitched. King is tied for eighth with 32 strikeouts while Trace Dempsey leads the conference with seven saves and Ryan Riga is tied for the Big Ten lead with 13 appearances.
MICHIGAN STATE SERIES NOTES
• Joe Ciamacco stole two more bases Saturday to improve to 11-for-11 this season and 27-for-27 in his career.
• After losing just their second game of the season when leading after six frames Friday night, the Buckeyes got back on the right track Saturday to improve to 13-2 on the season in such games.
• Jaron Long allowed his first walk in 24 innings when Joel Fisher reached on a free pass in the top of the second Friday.
• Pat Porter notched his team-high 10th multi-hit game Sunday.
• Kirby Pellant went 6-for-12 with a double, two RBI and two runs scored in the series while Greg Solomon went 5-for-10 with a triple, an RBI and a run scored.
• Pat Porter notched a team-high three doubles and five runs scored in the series against the Spartans.
• Ryan Riga appeared in all three contests against Michigan State.
SOME MORE NOTES
• Aaron Gretz has a team-high seven doubles this season after tallying three as a freshman a season ago. In addition, the sophomore has walked a team-high 14 times while striking out 12.
• Ohio State is getting quality starts out of its rotation of Long, Goldberg and King. The trio has averaged over six innings per start and posted a 2.42 ERA.
• The Buckeyes are 13-2 when leading after six innings and 12-3 when they score first.
• Ohio State is 16-3 when scoring more than two runs and 13-1 when outhitting the opponent.
• The Buckeyes have buckled down with runners on base, allowing opponents to hit just .198.
• Trace Dempsey is tied for second nationally and leads the Big Ten with seven saves. He’s posted a 0.68 ERA while striking out 14 in 13.1 innings pitched. Dempsey has not allowed an earned run over his last 10.1 innings.
• David Fathalikhani has not allowed a run over his first eight appearances.
• Joe Ciamacco is a perfect 11-for-11 in stolen base attempts in 2013 to move his career total to 27-for-27.
• The Buckeyes are hitting .325 in Big Ten play while opponents are batting just .214.
• Jacob Bosiokovic has notched at least one hit in every Big Ten game while Kirby Pellant has also hit safely in each contest, batting .571 in the six games.
• Brad Goldberg has allowed two earned runs or less in each of his eight starts.
• Pellant has reached base safely in 14 consecutive games while Brad Hallberg has reached in 13 straight and Tim Wetzel in 10 straight.
Dezse finished second on the team with a .306 batting average and five home runs to go along with nine doubles, 33 RBI and 31 runs scored a season ago. The Powell, Ohio, native also made 24 appearances on the mound, going 1-2 with a 2.86 ERA and tied for third in the Big Ten with seven saves as he allowed opponents to hit a paltry .188.
BUCKS PICKED FOURTH IN PRESEASON POLL
Ohio State was selected fourth in the Big Ten preseason coaches’ poll, the conference office announced Feb. 12. In addition, Josh Dezse, Brad Goldberg and Jaron Long have been named players to watch.
Indiana enters the season as the conference favorite followed by Nebraska, Michigan State, Ohio State, Minnesota and Illinois.
HEAD COACH Greg Beals
Head coach Greg Beals is the 11th head coach in Ohio State history and only the fourth in the last 60 years. He has a 319-264 career record and is in his 11th season as a collegiate head coach.
17th SEASON AT BILL DAVIS STADIUM
Ohio State is 266-133 all-time at Bill Davis Stadium for a fine .670 winning percentage. Ohio State is 151-83 vs. the Big Ten Conference at home.
Ohio State travels to Minnesota for a three-game set beginning Friday in Minneapolis.
Buckeyes Announce 2017 Schedule
Gray Tops Scarlet, 5-3, in Game 4