RELATED INFO: 2017 Team Guide | 2017 Schedule | 2017 Roster | Baseball Homepage | Big Ten Baseball | Follow the Buckeyes on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram | Promotional Calendar | Buy Season Tickets | Buy Single Game Tickets | Buy Family Packs | Season Stats | PDF: Ohio State Notes
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- The Ohio State baseball team begins a nine-game homestand, hosting Youngstown State at 5:05 p.m. ET Tuesday at Nick Swisher Field at Bill Davis Stadium. The Buckeyes (8-11, 0-0 B1G) are returning to the diamond after falling in a three-game series against Xavier last time out, while the Penguins (2-14, 0-3 Horizon) were swept in a three-game series at UIC over the weekend in Chicago, Ill.
FOLLOW THE ACTION
BTN Plus ($) will stream the contest vs. the Penguins. A link to live stats links can be found by going to the schedule page of Ohio State Baseball on OhioStateBuckeyes.com. Fans should follow the action on Twitter via @OhioState_BASE.
ON THE MOUND
TBA (Ohio State) vs. TBA (Youngstown State)
- Ohio State is 8-11 overall and 0-0 in Big Ten play. The Buckeyes dropped a three-game series against Xavier over the weekend.
- Ohio State is led by seventh-year head coach Greg Beals, who claimed his 450th career win March 4 at Campbell. He guided the Buckeyes to a Big Ten tournament championship and NCAA Regional in 2016.
- Ohio State went 1-3 at the Big Ten/Pac-12 Challenge Feb. 23-26 in Surprise, Ariz. Highlighting the weekend was a 5-1 upset win over No. 5 Oregon State.
- The Buckeyes began their 134th season of baseball with a 2-2 record during the opening weekend at Sunshine State Classic Series Feb. 17-19 in Kissimmee, Fla. Twelve Buckeyes made their Ohio State debuts.
- Thirty-four percent (55-of-150) of the team's hits have gone for extra-bases. Ohio State is tied for the conference lead in home runs with Illinois (19) and third in the Big Ten in doubles (33)
- Junior outfielder Tre' Gantt leads the team with a .352 batting average, collecting six doubles, one triple and two home runs. He has reached base safely in 18 of 19 games this season.
- Junior Noah McGowan has five home runs on the year, including a three-homer game last time out vs. Xavier March 19.
- The OSU pitching staff has seen 15 different arms on the mound so far this year.
- Fifth-year senior right-handed pitcher Jake Post is 1-1 with a 3.96 ERA with 22 strikeouts and 12 walks in 25.0 innings pitched.
- Redshirt junior right-hander Yianni Pavlopoulos was named Big Ten Co-Pitcher of the Week Feb. 27.
- Junior right-hander Seth Kinker has made eight appearances out of the bullpen. He is 1-0 with a 2.60 ERA in 17.1 innings pitched.
- The 2017 Buckeyes return 17 letterwinners this season, including a five-member senior class, from the squad that won 44 games, tied for fifth all-time in program history and the most since 2003, and advanced to a NCAA Regional after claiming the program's ninth Big Ten tournament title. The team also welcomed 17 newcomers last fall.
- Last season, the Buckeyes broke single-season records in stolen bases (101) and strikeouts by a staff (495).
- The 2016 team's fielding percentage was second-best all time at .975. A Big Ten-best six Buckeyes were taken in the MLB Draft.
- Ohio State played its first 16 games away from the friendly confines of Nick Swisher Field at Bill Davis Stadium.
- Senior infielder Jalen Washington and redshirt junior pitcher Adam Niemeyer were each named captains.
21st SEASON AT BILL DAVIS STADIUM
Ohio State is 337-166 all-time at Bill Davis Stadium for a fine .671 winning percentage. Ohio State is 177-102 vs. the Big Ten Conference at home. The Buckeyes went 23-4 at home last year for fifth-most home wins in school history.
SCOUTING YOUNGSTOWN STATE
The Penguins are 2-14 overall and 0-3 in Horizon league play. Nico Padovan leads the team with a .314 average (16-for-51) with one double, six runs scored and three stolen bases. Shane Willoughby is batting .266 (17-for-64) with a double, three home runs and 12 RBI, while Andrew Kendrick has powered six home runs on the year with a team-high 16 RBI.
Ohio State leads the all-time series, 13-2. The Buckeyes have won the last eight meetings against the Penguins and are 12-2 at Bill Davis Stadium.
LAST TIME OUT
Ohio State was swept by Xavier over the weekend, losing all three games by a one-run score. The Buckeyes fell, 3-2, in 13 innings in their home opener last Saturday before dropping both games of a doubleheader on Sunday. Xavier won both contests in walk-off fashion. Ohio State powered six home runs on day at Hayden Field led by junior Noah McGowan who tied the OSU single-game record with three home runs in game two. Jalen Washington homered twice in game one, while Tyler Cowles also hit one home run.
MCGOWAN TIES HOME RUN RECORD
Junior Noah McGowan had a memorable day at the plate against Xavier in game two of the doubleheader last Sunday. The native of Houston, Texas, launched three home runs to tie the OSU single-game record last accomplished by Josh Dezse in 2012. McGowan homered in the third inning for the Buckeyes' first run before driving in three runs on a three-run shot in the seventh for a 4-1 lead. He put the Buckeyes on top, 5-4, in the top of the ninth with his third long ball of the game.
BIG TEN PLAY STARTS FRIDAY
A new season begins Friday night at Bill Davis Stadium as the defending Big Ten tournament champions open conference play against Minnesota, the defending Big Ten regular season champions. First pitch Friday is at 5:05 p.m. Game two begins at 3:05 p.m. The first two contests vs. the Golden Gophers will be streamed on BTN Plus, while the series finale will be shown live on BTN at Noon Sunday.
#SummerBucks Update: June 27
Buckeyes Selected in 2017 MLB Draft
Canzone Named Third Team All-Big Ten