Ohio State Takes Series With 7-2 Senior Day Win Over Seattle
May 13, 2012
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State baseball team defeated Seattle, 7-2, Sunday on Senior Day at Nick Swisher Field at Bill Davis Stadium. With the win, Ohio State moves to 30-22 on the season while Seattle falls to 22-24.
The Buckeyes took the lead with three runs against Seattle starter Garrett Anderson in the bottom of the first. Three straight singles by Ryan Cypret, Brad Hallberg and Mike Carroll plated the first run of the game before a sacrifice fly from Patrick Porter scored Hallberg and Kirby Pellant was hit by a pitch to score Carroll to make it 3-0.
Ohio State added to its advantage in the bottom of the fifth when Hallberg tripled down the right field line with one down against Seattle reliever Bryan Dalton and scored on an RBI single through the left side by Brad Hutton to push the lead to 4-0.
Ohio State starter John Kuchno cruised through five scoreless innings to start the game but ran into trouble in the top of the sixth. Trent Oleszczuk and Brian Olson recorded back-to-back one-out singles and Jace Sloan brought both of them in with a two-run double to left-center.
However, the Buckeyes answered right back with two runs of their own in the bottom of the frame. Pellant reached on an error to start the inning and scored when Cypret was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded. Greg Solomon then tacked on another on a bases-loaded walk by Hallberg to push the lead to 6-2.
Ohio State tacked on another in the bottom of the seventh after David Corna led off the inning with a double down the left field line and Solomon singled through the left side to drive him in and make it 7-2.
Wetzel, Cypret and Hallberg each had two hits for the Buckeyes. Kuchno allowed two earned runs over a career-high 7.0 innings pitched. The sophomore right-hander struck out a career-best seven batters to move to 8-3 on the season.
The Buckeyes wrap up their home schedule against Toledo at 12:05 p.m. Tuesday.
- The program honored seniors Andrew Armstrong, David Corna, Paul Geuy and Brad Hutton along with senior student managers Blair Everhart and Alex Borchers prior to Sunday’s contest.
- Senior David Corna recorded a double, walked once and crossed the plate in the seventh.
- Senior Brad Hutton had one hit, one walk and an RBI.
- Kirby Pellant has reached base safely in his last 23 games.|
- Brad Hallberg recorded his team-leading 20th multi-hit game of the season, including his second triple of the season.
- Tim Wetzel and Ryan Cypret both picked up a pair of singles.
- John Kuchno tallied a career-high seven strikeouts in a personal best 7.0 innings pitched.
- Eight of the nine Buckeye starters tallied at least one hit.
- Ohio State has scored seven or more runs in 19 contests this season. The team is 16-3 in those decisions.
John Machado - Hall of Fame Weekend
A Look Back at Alumni Weekend