Ohio State Knocks Off Akron, 7-2
April 11, 2012
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State baseball team defeated Akron, 7-2, Wednesday night at Nick Swisher Field at Bill Davis Stadium. The Buckeyes have won six games in a row to move to 20-12 on the season while the Zips fall to 13-19.
After Ohio State starter Greg Greve tossed a perfect first, the Buckeyes plated two in the bottom of the frame off Akron starter Tyler Smith. Brad Hallberg singled with two down, Josh Dezse followed with a walk and Patrick Porter reach on a free pass to load the bases. Mike Carroll then came up and laced a single through the right side to score Hallberg and Dezse for the 2-0 lead.
The Buckeyes pushed the lead to 3-0 in the bottom of the third when Hallberg doubled and came around to score on a sacrifice fly to center by Porter.
Akron cut the lead to 3-2 in the top of the fifth when Brady Stewart was hit by a pitch to lead off the inning, Joey Havrilak followed with a bunt single and both came around to score on a two-out double to left-center by Jared Turocy.
Ohio State then plated four runs on four hits to push the lead to five in the bottom of the sixth. The Buckeyes used singles by Porter and Kirby Pellant sandwiched around doubles by Ciamacco and Gretz and a pair of bases-loaded walks against Akron reliever Jason McPeek to extend the advantage to 7-2.
Greve picked up the win to move to 3-2 on the season, allowing two earned runs on five hits while striking out a pair over 6.0 innings. Hallberg went 2-for-3 with an RBI and two runs scored while Ciamacco and Pellant had two hits apiece.
The Buckeyes host Nebraska in a three-game Big Ten series this weekend at Nick Swisher Field at Bill Davis Stadium.
- The Buckeyes are now 16-0 when leading after seven innings.
- Dezse has reached base safely in 31 of 32 contests this season.
- The Buckeyes have won six games in a row for the first time since March 2009.
- Ohio State is 54 of 66 in stolen bases after going 35 of 57 all last season.
- The Buckeyes are 12-1 this season when scoring six or more runs and 13-0 when out-hitting their opponent.
- The Buckeyes are averaging 10 runs in four Wednesday games this season.
- David Fatahalikhani tossed a scoreless ninth to lower his ERA to 0.73 on the season.
- Brad Hallberg produced his team-leading 13th multiple-hit game of the season with a single and a double against the Zips.
- Carroll’s two RBI gave him five multiple-RBI games this season.
A Look Back at Alumni Weekend
Alex Wimmers Makes MLB Debut