March 27, 2012
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Ohio State baseball team topped Eastern Michigan, 13-4, Tuesday night at Nick Swisher Field at Bill Davis Stadium. With the win, the Buckeyes move to 13-10 on the season while the Eagles drop to 8-15.
Ohio State took the early 2-0 lead in the bottom of the first. Tim Wetzel led off with a double to right-center and, after a fly out by Ryan Cypret, scored on an RBI triple by Brad Hallberg. Josh Dezse then plated Hallberg with an RBI groundout to short.
Eastern Michigan answered right back with a pair in the top of the second when Daniel Russell walked to lead off the inning, scored on a double by Tucker Rubino and Adam Dennison followed with an RBI double to tie the game at 2-2.
The Eagles then took a 3-2 lead in the top of the third when Brent Ohrman tripled to right-center and scored on a wild pitch by Ohio State starter Greg Greve.
Ohio State responded with five runs on six hits in the bottom of the fourth to take a 7-3. After Kirby Pellant grounded out, David Corna and Mike Carroll each singled before an RBI double by Patrick Porter scored Corna. After an Aaron Gretz single, Tim Wetzel hit a sacrifice fly to left to plate Carroll, Cypret followed with an RBI single and Hallberg capped the inning with a two-run double down the left field line.
After Ohio State reliever Paul Geuy came on and tossed a scoreless top of the fifth, the Buckeyes added two more in the bottom of the frame. Corna walked with one down and scored on an RBI fielder's choice by Gretz and Carroll singled and came around to push the lead to 9-3 when he scored from third after Gretz got caught in a rundown between first and second..
Eastern Michigan plated one in the top of the seventh on a double and a pair of walks to cut the Ohio State lead to 9-4.
However, Ohio State responded with four runs on two doubles and a pair of singles to blow the game open and cap the scoring at 13-4 after seven frames.
Porter went 3-for-3 with two RBI and two runs scored while Hallberg, Carroll and Gretz each had two hits. Geuy recorded his first career win with a scoreless fifth inning.
The Buckeyes travel to East Lansing for a three-game set against Michigan State this weekend.
- Pellant extended his hitting streak to six games with a hit Tuesday. His streak is the longest current streak on the team. He's also nabbed hits in nine of his previous 10 games played.
- The Buckeyes are 44 of 49 in stolen base attempts this season. They were 35 of 57 all of last season.
- Hallberg recorded his third multi-hit game in the Buckeyes' last four contests, while also earning his first career triple.
- Porter earned his first career three-hit and second multi-hit game.
- Tuesday marked the eighth game this season in which Ohio State has recorded 10 or more hits.
- The game also marked the fifth time this season Ohio State scored 10 or more runs.
- Matt Panek recorded his fourth consecutive scoreless appearance to start his career.
- Trace Dempsey tied his career high with three strikeouts.
Buckeyes Drop Series Opener vs. Indiana