PENSACOLA, Fla. – The Ohio State baseball team fell, 6-1, against Eastern Michigan Sunday at Blue Wahoos Stadium in Pensacola, Fla. With the loss, the Buckeyes fall to 7-4 overall, while the Eagles improve to 3-8 in 2018.
EAGLES SCORE SIX IN THE FIRST FOUR FRAMES
Eastern Michigan scored three runs in the second and fourth innings to jump out to a six-run cushion. Cameron Cruz and Jared Kauffman each doubled to score a run before a ground out by Kolton Schenker made it a 3-0 game. In the fourth, the Eagles scored three runs on three hits and one OSU error. A single by Schenker pushed Cruz around and Kauffman then scored on a throwing error. A wild pitch allowed Schenker to cross the dish for the sixth run.
ON THE MOUND
Right-hander Adam Niemeyer received the loss to fall to 0-2, allowing six runs on seven hits with four strikeouts and two walks in 3.1 innings. Right-hander Yianni Pavlopoulos threw the next 3.2 innings. He walked three batters, but didn’t allow a run on three hits. Left-handed reliever Andrew Magno retired two hitters in the eighth and right-handed reliever Thomas Waning recorded the final out in the bottom of the eighth and walked one batter.
For the Eagles, EMU starter Luke DeVenney limited the OSU bats to one run on seven hits to improve to 1-0 this year. He struck out four and walked one in seven innings on the mound.
Ohio State heads to the Carolinas for its spring break trip next week. The Buckeyes will play four games at the Environmental Staffing Chanticleer Classic in Conway, S.C., with a pair of games vs. High Point and the Chanticleers Friday-Sunday. The team will then take a bus trip north to play a pair of midweek games at UNCW March 13-14 in Wilmington, N.C.
- Ohio State finishes the Cox Diamond Invitational with a 2-1 record.
- The Buckeyes left seven on base, while the Eagles stranded nine runners.
- Noah West had his first start of the year and tallied a multi-hit game with two singles.
- Cowles extended his team-high hit streak to seven straight games.
- Reached base streaks extended: Cowles (11) and Pohl (8).
- Fishel drove in his second RBI on the weekend.
- Pohl led the Buckeyes at the plate at the invite, batting. 364 (4-for-11) with two runs scored, one home run, three RBI and two walks. Canzone had five hits and Cowles also had four hits
RANDOM NOTES FROM AROUND THE BALLPARK
- It was another beautiful day at the ballpark on the shores of the Pensacola bay. Sunshine all around. Crystal blue waters. That fresh salty air. A representative with the Pensacola Sports Association said this was the best three weather days of the year so far.
- Strength and conditioning coach Dean Hansen was dressed in his famous Sunday bright red pants. You could spot him from a mile away. And no, they were not the skinny fit kind.
- A raccoon was found in a rolling buffet stand located underneath the party deck down the left field line. It was just chilling, catching up on some Z’s after a late night out on the town. They are nocturnal creatures you know. Animal control was called and got the visitor safely out. Unfortunately for the raccoon, his Sunday nap ended a little earlier than planned. He didn’t pay admission to the baseball game either.
Buckeyes Make BTN Season Debut March 30