2015 - 2016 Brutus Tryout Information
You must turn in the following items at the beginning of tryouts to be able to participate. All forms but the sickle Cell Trait Test are available in the tryout information packet:
- Completed 2015 -2016 Prospective Member Information Sheet
- Signed and completed Signed & completed Release of claims form
- Signed and completed Sickle Cell Trait Testing Form
- A 5x7 or larger head shot attached (not stapled)
- Proof of a physical within the last 12 months. Physical must include date & physician signature
For a printable version of this page CLICK HERE
The following is an excerpt from a commencement speech delivered by Woody Hayes on March 14th, 1986 to OSU graduates:
"I would like to start with something I have used in almost every speech, and this is, 'paying forward.' And that is the thing that you folks can do with your great education for the rest of your life. Try to take that attitude toward life - that you're going to pay forward. So seldom can we pay back because those who helped most--your parents and other people--will be gone, but you'll find that you do want to pay. Emerson had something to say about that: "You can pay back only seldom." But he said, "You can always pay forward, and you must pay line for line, deed for deed, and cent for cent." He said, "Beware of too much good accumulating in your palm or it will fast corrupt." That was Emerson's attitude, and no one put it better than he did."Each student that has had the honor of representing Brutus, especially the last couple of decades, has taken the approach that it is time to give back to the University that has given each of us so much. Now it is your turn. It takes tremendous effort, dedication, and devotion for you to continue the great tradition of Brutus at The Ohio State University- but becoming the character is the great joy of each Brutus' time as an undergraduate and indeed will transform your relationship with your alma mater for the rest of your life. Are you ready?
Brutus Prerequisite Tryout Information
All candidates in the Spirit Program must truly embody the "student-athlete", whereby playing the character is secondary only to your academic pursuits at The Ohio State University. To be considered for Brutus, candidates must meet the tryout pre-requisite requirements listed below:
- Be a current, enrolled student at The Ohio State University, Main Campus by day 1 of being selected
- At least freshman status during the semester of your tryout
- In good academic standing dictated by the NCAA / Big Ten Standard
- Cumulative GPA of a 2.0 or higher. (Once on the team, a student-athlete must maintain a 2.0 cumulative grade point average or higher, in order to remain on the team. In addition, all student athletes must abide by the standards & requirements dictated by the Brutus Buckeye Constitution.)
Interested candidates need to make it to at least one of the following events. If for some reason you cannot make the events, please reach out to Coach Ray Sharp at firstname.lastname@example.org
Orientation (Attendance strongly encouraged)
This is an informational session where interested candidates will learn about the Brutus Buckeye program, responsibilities of membership, highlights of the 2014 -2015 season as well as a description of the Brutus tryout process. Candidates will have the opportunity to ask questions with the mascot coach, & select members of the Current Brutus team. Here is where we will get your general information for tryouts & establish our tryout candidate list.
Ohio State Mascot Clinic (Attendance strongly encouraged)
This is a full day clinic in which you will be receiving hands on training from a national championship staff on being a mascot. This clinic will cover basic character skills & development as well as a skit workshop. You will receive instruction from a highly experienced team of mascot instructors including former Brutus members as well as the current Brutus Buckeye coach.
The clinic will be broken in to two subjects; Character Development & Skit creation. Topics covered in the Character Development section will include the following:
- "Who is Brutus" Brutus character
- Mascots 101
- Improvisation & Impromptu exercises
- Signature Poses
- Situational response
Topics covered in the skit creation section will include the following:
- Theme Development
- Props 101 - Basic vs. Advanced
- Prop Building
- Costume development
- In-game Skits
- Nationals Competition
Brutus Tryouts weekend
Final Character Skills Clinic - April 24th 6:00 PM - 9:00 PMThis will be your final opportunity to get some time in the outfit, & ask any last minute questions that you may have. It also will give you an opportunity to interact with past Bruti & get any last minute advice you may be looking for.
Interviews - April 24th - 6:00 PM - 9:00 PMYour interview time will be determined at the conclusion of the Ohio State Mascot Clinic. Each candidate will meet with a committee comprised of a variety of Brutus Buckeye alumni, athletic department officials, coaches, and / or other friends of the Brutus Program. Please dress in business professional attire for your interview.
Brutus Skills and Improvisation - April 25th 2014 - 9:00 AM - 4:00 PMThe second day encompasses the team skit, Brutus Skills, and an "Improvisation" round.
- Candidates display an ability to entertain a broadcast camera
- Candidates demonstrate Brutus Skills learned in the character clinic
Situational ImprovisationCandidates create the Brutus character in two different situations. Judges will evaluate each candidate's emulation of the Brutus character, prop usage, and creativity.
- First situation - A tryout staffer gives instructions to a candidate and he or she will respond to the situation within the Brutus character.
- Second situation - Judges evaluate a candidate's creativity. With music and a small selection of props provided by the judges, candidates will act out an improvised scene to music.
SkitCandidates will perform their own creative skit for the judges, where they will be scored on their ability to be creative, while maintaining the qualities & attributes of Brutus. It's important that candidates have a well-defined theme, use props, & really develop the character of Brutus.
General Skit Rules
- Candidates have a maximum length of one minute for set-up, two minutes for skit material, and one minute to clean up after the skit ends.
- The two-minute skit allows for a maximum of 10 props, no larger than 5'x5'x5'. Any prop that does not meet the requirements will not be permitted in the skit.
- Costume pieces must be immediately placed on the ground if removed. If used in a skit, they count as props.
- A prop may not have any flaps or attachments that extend the prop to more than five feet. Props may not be stacked together or attached to exceed five feet.
- Each item thrown into the crowd will count as one prop, i.e. four t-shirts thrown into the crowd count as four props.
- The use of pyrotechnics, fire extinguishers, extension cords, and motors are prohibited.
- There will be a maximum of two people allowed to assist the candidate with the skit. This includes prop set-up, skit participation, and clean up.
2015 Tryout Dates and Times
Orientation sessionsOhio Union - Meet at the Bronze Brutus Statue
March 21st, 2015, 10:00 AM - 11:30 AM
March 28h, 2015, 10:00 AM - 11:30 AM
Mascot ClinicFrench Field House
April 12th 2015, 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM
InterviewsOhio Union - Suzanne Sharer Room
April 24th 2015, 6:00 PM - 9:00 PM
Improvisation RoundFrench Field House
April 25th 2015, 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM
SkitsFrench Field House
April 25th 2015, 1:00 PM - 2:30 PM
Fight Song(Tentative)French Field House
April 25th 2015, 2:45 PM - 3:15 PM
Team SelectionUpon conclusion of skits, and after a deliberation period, the team will be announced. A post tryout dinner / meet & greet will occur for the candidates who make the team and for their families to meet the coach and some of the alumni of the program (time & location TBA). If you have any questions in regards to the information listed above, please contact Ray Sharp at Sharp.email@example.com
If you have any further questions, concerns or points of clarification, please don't hesitate to reach out to me through email. Good luck to you all & GO BUCKS!
2015-16 Spirit Squad Selected!