2018 - 2019 Brutus Tryout Information
You must turn in the following items at the beginning of tryouts to be able to participate. All forms but the sickle Cell Trait Test are available in the tryout information packet:
- Signed and completed Signed & completed Release of Claims Form
- Signed and completed Sickle Cell Trait Testing Form
- A 5x7 or larger head shot attached (not stapled)
- Proof of a physical within the last 12 months. Physical must include date & physician signature
For a printable version of this page CLICK HERE
The following is an excerpt from a commencement speech delivered by Woody Hayes on March 14th, 1986 to OSU graduates:
"I would like to start with something I have used in almost every speech, and this is, 'paying forward.' And that is the thing that you folks can do with your great education for the rest of your life. Try to take that attitude toward life - that you're going to pay forward. So seldom can we pay back because those who helped most--your parents and other people--will be gone, but you'll find that you do want to pay. Emerson had something to say about that: "You can pay back only seldom." But he said, "You can always pay forward, and you must pay line for line, deed for deed, and cent for cent." He said, "Beware of too much good accumulating in your palm or it will fast corrupt." That was Emerson's attitude, and no one put it better than he did."
That was Woody's attitude, and no one put it better than he did.Each student that has had the honor of representing Brutus, especially the last couple of decades, has taken the approach that it is time to "pay it forward" to the University that has given each of us so much. Now it is your turn. It takes tremendous effort, dedication, and devotion for you to continue the great tradition of Brutus at The Ohio State University- but becoming the character is the great joy of each Brutus' time as an undergraduate and indeed will transform your relationship with your alma mater for the rest of your life. Are you ready?
Brutus Prerequisite Tryout Information
Register for Tryouts (YOU MUST COMPLETE THIS REGISTRATION FORM IN ORDER TO TRYOUT FOR THE TEAM NO LATER THAN 3/16/2018 BY 9 A.M.)All candidates in the Spirit Program must truly embody the "student-athlete", whereby representing the character of Brutus, is secondary only to your academic pursuits at The Ohio State University. To be considered for Brutus, candidates must meet the tryout pre-requisite requirements listed below:
- Be a current, enrolled student at The Ohio State University, Main Campus by by the tryout completion date
- At least freshman status during the semester of your tryout
- In good academic standing dictated by the NCAA / Big Ten Standard
- Commit to at least 15 hours a week for team related commitments. You must be flexible. (Subject to change throughout the year based on demand)
- All student-athletes must abide by the standards & requirements dictated by the Brutus Buckeye Code of Conduct.
The commitment will require you to be dedicated and very flexible with your time. You will be expected to assist in multiple Buckeye sporting events which will include all football games both home and away, home Men's & Women's Basketball games, Men's & Women's Hockey games and as many other sporting events as we possibly can be at. There will be opportunities to travel for post season tournament games, bowl games, and Big ten conference related events. The commitment will also require you to participate in non-sporting related appearances both on and off campus as well as preparing for national competitions. The mandatory commitments in which you MUST be available for is as follows:
Mandatory Commitments Schedule
|Team Retreat (ALL DAY)||4/21/2018|
All team members are required to be available on the following dates until individuals have been scheduled by the coaching staff
|President State Tours||6/20 - 6/21 and 7/10 - 7/11|
|4th of July Miranova Celebration||7/3|
|Camp/Season Preparation Weekend||7/27 - 7/31|
|UCA Mascot Camp||8/1 - 8/5|
|2017 Season Kickoff||7/31 - 8/2|
|UCA Mascot Camp||8/3 - 8/6|
|Big Ten 10K||8/11 - 8/12 (Tentatively)|
School Year Practice Schedule
** YOU MUST SCHEDULE CLASSES AROUND PRACTICES, WEIGHT TRAINING, AND GAMES. Schedule is subject to change
Fall & Spring Semester
|Practice||Monday & Tuesday Evenings|
|Weight Training/Conditioning||Tuesday & Thursdays 9-10 AM|
|Ohio State Athletic Events||TBD during all semesters/breaks|
Winter Break / Spring Break 2018-2019: You are not permitted to schedule an away trip for winter or spring break until all games and events have been scheduled by the coaching staff.
- Each Spirit Squad member is required to attend assigned Athletic Department appearances
- Additional practices when preparing for UCA competition over winter break
- All team members will receive partial scholarships ranging in amounts awarded at the end of each academic Semester
- Scholarship amounts vary and will be explained in detail in the policies, procedures, and code of conduct.
Interested candidates are strongly encouraged to attend at least one information session, & one in costume workshop. You must provide the mascot coach with the following information before you can participate in any costume related opportunities:
- A copy of your Autumn semester's class schedule (Non - Freshman)
- Letter of acceptance to the main Columbus campus (Incoming Freshmen / Transfer students)
- A Completed Release of Claims form
- A Completed Pre-participation physical examination
- A 5 x 7 Headshot Hard Copy
Orientation Session (Attendance strongly encouraged)
This is an informational session where interested candidates will learn about the Brutus Buckeye program. We will cover:
- Requirements & commitments of the program
- All aspects of the tryout process
- General Q & A
|1||2/13||6:20 p.m.||RPAC Main Lobby|
|2||2/17||1:20 p.m.||RPAC Main Lobby|
Brutus Buckeye Costume Times (Attendance strongly encouraged)
You will learn how to correctly portray the character, and participate in improv and skit exercises. You will need to make sure that your physical is submitted prior to getting in costume.
|Costume Time Session||Date||Time||Location|
|1||3/3||2:30 p.m. - 4 p.m.||Email Coach Ray Sharp
|2||3/4||2:30 p.m. - 4 p.m.||Email Coach Ray Sharp
|3||3/24||2:30 p.m. - 4 p.m.||Email Coach Ray Sharp
|4||3/25||2:30 p.m. - 4 p.m.||Email Coach Ray Sharp
Brutus Tryouts Dates & Times
Interviews: March 30th - 5 p.m. at the Ohio UnionYour interview time will be determined via email address obtained from the registration form online. Make sure you have completed that prior to 9:00 PM 3/16/2018. Each candidate will meet with a committee comprised of a variety of Brutus Buckeye alumni, athletic department officials, and/or coaches. Please arrive 10 minutes early dressed in business professional attire.
Impromptu & Skit Round: March 31st - 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. at French Field HouseThis is the evaluation of how well you portray Brutus' character in the various situations he may experience daily. You will also be tested on your ability to make a creative and entertaining skit built around a central theme.
General Skit Rules
Candidates have a maximum length of one minute for set-up, two minutes for skit material, and one minute to clean up after the skit ends.
- The two-minute skit allows for a maximum of 7 props. More than 7 props automatically results in a lower evaluation
- Costume pieces must be immediately placed on the ground if removed. If used in a skit, they count as props.
- Each item thrown into the crowd will count as one prop, i.e. four t-shirts thrown into the crowd count as four props.
- The use of pyrotechnics, fire extinguishers, extension cords, motors, glitter, powder, anything making a mess that requires a broom or extensive clean up, are prohibited.
- There will be a maximum of two people allowed to assist the candidate with the skit. This includes prop set-up, skit participation, and clean up.
- Themes & content are to be family friendly & clean, no profanity, untasteful references, etc.
- Music is to be provided to the head coach in an MP3 format via Dropbox by 9:00 PM 3/29/2018
Team SelectionUpon conclusion of tryouts, and after a deliberation period, the team will be announced.
Signing Up to TryoutIf you are interested in trying out for this once in a lifetime opportunity, please complete the registration form on the website by 3/16/2018 by 9:00 PM Eastern Standard Time.
If you have any further questions, concerns or points of clarification, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me through email. Good luck to you all & GO BUCKS!
My Gameday: Journey Ramey