COLUMBUS, Ohio – The field is set for the 2017 NCAA Fencing Championships, with 144 competitors selected by the men’s and women’s fencing committee on Tuesday. The Buckeyes qualified eleven out of the maximum twelve fencers to compete at the event hosted by the University of Notre Dame and the Indiana Sports Corp at Indiana Farmers Coliseum in Indianapolis, Ind. The event will take place March 23-26, and Ohio State hopes to improve on their second place finish at last year’s NCAA Championships.
Selections were made based 60 percent on each fencer’s finish at the Midwest Regional Qualifier, and the remaining 40 percent was based on their regular season competition. Nine of Ohio State’s 11 competitors will be returning to NCAA Championships. Seniors Eugenia Falqui and Alanna Goldie will be making their fourth appearance at the event. Ohio State will be represented in all weapon categories, with two in every weapon but women’s sabre.
The competition will follow a round-robin format of five-touch bouts. After the round robin, the top-four finishers will compete in 15-touch bouts in the semi-final round. The winners of the semi-final round will fence to determine first and second place, while the non-advancing fencers will tie for third place. Points earned by each individual student-athlete determine the overall team’s place in the championships. A team is awarded one point for each individual victory.
A live feed of the semi-final and final bouts will be available on ESPN3 or the WatchESPN App. The semifinals and finals, along with other championships highlights will air on ESPNU at 2:30 p.m. Eastern time on April 5.
2018 NCAA Championship Hype Video