Ohio State Heads to Detroit for NCAA Midwest Regional
March 9, 2017

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- The Ohio State fencing team travels to Detroit, Mich. to compete in the 2017 Midwest Regional Qualifier, hosted by Wayne State University on March 11. The Buckeyes will compete in five-touch round-robin bouts with six teams on Saturday: Notre Dame, Northwestern, Wayne State, Detroit-Mercy, Lawrence and Cleveland State. Women's competition will begin at 9:00 a.m. and men's competition will follow at 12:30 p.m.

Ohio State looks to qualify the maximum 12 fencers for NCAA Championships in Indianapolis, Ind. on March 23-26. Championship selections will be made based 60 percent on each fencer's finish at the Regional Qualifier, with the remaining 40 percent based on their regular season competition.

THE BUCKEYE SLATE
In women's epee, senior Eugenia Falqui will compete for a fourth time and sophomore Emma von Dadelszen will return for a second. Falqui finished in second place last year with six victories and a +11 indicator. Von Dadelszen claimed fourth place at her first Midwest Regional, also finishing with six victories.

Seniors Alanna Goldie and Eleanor Harvey will fence for the Buckeyes in women's foil. Goldie will compete in her fourth Midwest Regional, claiming second place in the previous year with 15 victories and a +52 indicator. Harvey, also making a fourth appearance at Midwest Regionals, took third place at the competition, finishing with 14 wins and a +45 indicator.

For women's sabre, senior Alexa Antipas will compete in her fourth Midwest Regional while freshman Sarah Merza makes her first appearance. Antipas finished in third place at last year's event, earning seven victories and a +15 indicator. Merza hopes to round out the women's sabre unit, as Antipas was the lone competitor in 2016.

 

 

Juniors Lewis Weiss and Marc-Antoine Blais Belanger take to the strips for the third year. Weiss hopes to defend his Midwest Regional champion title, finishing first in both 2015 and 2016. Blais-Belanger claimed third place at last year's event with ten wins and a +25 indicator.

In men's foil, Julien Baneux, Maximilien Chastanet and Stas Sudilovsky will compete to qualify for a spot at NCAA Championships. Juniors Sudilovsky and Chastanet both competed at the 2016 Regional, with Sudilovsky ending in second place (10 wins, +29 indicator) and Chastanet in fourth place (8 wins, +18 indicator). Junior foilist Baneux will make his first appearance at Midwest Regionals since his freshman year, when he claimed seventh place.

Junior Fares Arfa will defend his Midwest Regional title from 2016, making his fourth appearance at the event. Junior Frederik Koch also makes his third appearance, ending last year's competition in seventh place with seven wins and a +14 indicator. Freshman Domenik Koch will make his Regional Qualifier debut on Saturday.

All of Ohio State's 2016 Midwest Regional competitors received bids to compete at NCAA Championships. 2017 selections will be announced on March 14.

FOUR-PEAT
The Buckeyes are coming off their first place finish at Midwest Fencing Conference Championships, their fourth championship in as many years. The Scarlet and Gray swept individual titles, claimed five out of six squad titles, and took three team trophies.

Eugenia Falqui (women's epee), Eleanor Harvey (women's foil), Sarah Merza (women's sabre), Lewis Weiss (men's epee), Stas Sudilovsky (men's foil) and Frederik Koch (men's sabre), Ohio State's individual MFC Champions, will all compete for a selection to fence at NCAA Championships.

UP NEXT
Following the NCAA Midwest Regional, Ohio State will prepare for a run at NCAA Championships in Indianapolis, Ind. on March 23-26.