Junior fencer Alexa Antipas currently leads the women's sabre fencing unit, earning a season and unit-high record of 23-1 at this year's OSU Duals. The Stony Brook, N.Y. native has garnered a winning record at every competition for the Buckeyes, most recently tallying an 18-12 record at Northwestern Duals. Antipas is currently gearing up for Midwest Fencing Conference Championships this weekend at French Field House.
- Do you prefer Oval Beach in the Fall or Spring (or maybe the Winter)? Spring
- Where is the best place to sit for lectures? Off to the side so you don't make awkward eye contact with the professor.
- Most underrated place to study on campus? I usually don't study on campus because I get distracted too easily.
- Why did you choose to major in ...? Fashion and Retail Studies- I love clothing and I've always enjoyed designing so Fashion and Retail Studies gave me the best of both worlds.
- Describe your first day as a student at The Ohio State University? I read my schedule wrong and went to the wrong building... I was super late and had to sit on the floor because there were no seats. So it was pretty embarrassing.
- Favorite TV show - Law and Order SVU
- Favorite movie - Harry Potter
- Favorite book and/or magazine - Looking For Alaska by John Green
- Favorite celebrity - Julianne Hough
- Favorite singer or musical group - Taylor Swift
- Last concert I attended was - Blake Shelton, Jana Kramer, Easton Corbin
- Favorite athlete - Morgan Mzhen
- The athlete I would most like to compete against - Mona Shaito- "she tiger"
- Favorite athletic memory - I was the first alternate to go to a Cadet World Cup in London and two weeks before the competition, I was cleared to go and ended up taking 7th place. It was one of the best experiences I've had in fencing.
- Team you're most looking forward to competing against - Notre Dame because my brother is a freshman on the team and it's always fun to have a little family rivalry.
- Pre-game/match superstition/Pre-game/match ritual - I have to listen to the same playlist while I warm up.
- What is your top skill? What skill do you need to improve? I'm pretty fast so I can move well on the strip but emotionally; I'm not that strong so it would help if my emotions stayed constant throughout my fencing.
- Most interesting place I've visited - Paris, France
- Place I would like to visit - Australia
- Favorite home cooked meal - Pizza
- Favorite snack food - Pizza
- Guilty pleasure snack and/or food - Pizza
- Person I most admire - I can't say I admire only one person because I admire both my parents. They've done so much for me to get me where I am today and I couldn't thank them enough.
- The greatest risk I've ever taken was - Committing to The Ohio State University before I had an official visit. It was a good risk though.
- In 10 years, I would like to be - A clothing designer with a family enjoying life wherever it takes me.
- If I had a million dollar - Give some to my parents, save some, spend some on clothes (I can never have too much clothing) and donate some.
- Coolest thing you did this past summer - I got to spend a lot of time with my family so I'd say that's pretty cool.
- Most prized possession - My camera would probably be my most prized possession just because it helps capture all the moments in my life.
- I would like to trade places for a day with - Alanna Goldie. It'd be cool to be a superstar for a day.
- If you could have dinner with any 3 people (alive or dead), who would they be and what/where would you eat - Taylor Swift, Selena Gomez, and Beyoncé--I'd take them to my favorite pizza place.
- Any superstitions, non-game/match related -- If I don't use a certain weapon while I fence, I feel off balanced.
- Dream event (non-sport or sport-related) you would like to attend - The Olympics - that'd be beyond amazing.
- If your parents/guardians bragged about you, what would they say? They'd probably talk about my fencing and how I'm loving Ohio State.
- Do you have an interesting nickname? Usually my nickname is Lex but people that can't pronounce my last name right call me Antipasta.
- What is your hometown known for? We don't really have anything in particular that we're known for but we live along the shoreline so you're walking distance to the beach.
- Cats or Dogs? Cats--cat lady for life.
- Early Bird or Night Owl? Night owl. Who enjoys getting up early?
- Would you be the O, H, I or the O in a picture? O.
Buckeyes Set for Zone Championships