Athletes of the Week
Stephanie Mavunga, women's basketball
- Mavunga notched a double-double by halftime and finished the game with season-high 23 points and 13 rebounds. This was her team-high fourth double-double in seven games this season. Mavunga also had a career-high six steals.
Jose Rodriguez, wrestling
- Rodriguez, a redshirt freshman who is 5-0 thus far in duals and 11-2 overall, scored 14 first-period points on a takedown and three four-point near falls and then escaped the start the second period that finished off his 15-0 technical fall over the reigning Big Ten Wrestler of the Week, Anthony Rubinetti.
No. 12 Women's Basketball (9-3)
- Ohio State dominated from start to finish on Friday night in its 118-61 win over visiting Alabama State.
- This was the third time this season that OSU eclipsed 100 points in a game. Leading the way was Stephanie Mavunga with her 23 points and 13 rebounds. Linnae Harper, making her debut as a Buckeye, poured in 15 points and added five rebounds. Seven players reached double figures in scoring tonight for the Scarlet and Gray; Kelsey Mitchell scored 15 while Sierra Calhoun and Shayla Cooper added 13 apiece. Tori McCoy recorded 11 points in her first career start and fellow freshman Kiara Lewis had 10 off the bench.
No. 4 Wrestling (5-0, Big Ten 1-0)
- Ohio State felt right at home at Wadsworth High School on Sunday, winning eight of the nine contested matches against Northwestern on its way to a 43-3 victory over the Wildcats in the Big Ten opener for both teams.
- Bonus point victories by Jose Rodriguez, Nathan Tomasello and Luke Pletcher after three bouts gave Ohio State a quick 14-0 lead and after a forfeit by NU at 149 lbs., the Buckeyes followed that up with five more victories -- two by pin -- for their final point total.
Ohio State Athletics Schedule
Monday, December 19
- Women's Basketball, at UConn, 7 p.m. -- Hartford, Conn.
Tuesday, December 20
- Men's Basketball vs. Youngstown State, 7 p.m. -- Columbus, Ohio
Wednesday, December 21
- Women's Basketball vs. Winthrop, 7 p.m. -- Columbus, Ohio
Thursday, December 22
- Men's Basketball, vs. UNC Asheville, 9 p.m. -- Columbus, Ohio
No. 25 Ohio State Rolls Past Wright State in Home Opener
Scenes from the Buckeyes' Home Opener
Kelsey Mitchell Returning for Senior Season
Coach Urban Meyer’s First 15: Scoring Machines
Florida Relays Up Next for Buckeyes
Ohio State Hits the Road for NCAA Regional in Champaign