Athletes of the Week
Adelaide Penzone, field hockey
- The freshman midfielder/forward netted two-game winners this week, helping the Buckeyes accomplish a season-best three game winning streak. On Wednesday, the Powell, Ohio native snuck one past the UC Davis goalkeeper in the 63rd minute to give the Scarlet and Gray the lead for good. Penzone continued her wonderful week Sunday afternoon by scoring the game winner three and half minutes into overtime against Miami (Ohio).
Ben Fitzpatrick, men’s soccer
- The senior transfer buried his first goal as a Buckeye to give Ohio State its first win of the season in the Big Ten opener against Northwestern 1-0.
No. 3 Football (2-0)
- The defense pounced on the visiting Golden Hurricane by forcing six turnovers. Marshon Lattimore (40 yards) and Malik Hooker (26 yards) both returned interceptions for touchdowns towards the end of the second quarter to give the Buckeyes a commanding 20-3 lead. The last time Ohio State returned two interceptions for a touchdown in the same game was Nov. 13, 2010.
- The Buckeyes wound up victorious by a score of 48-3 and the defense only allowed Tulsa to gather 77 rushing yards on 36 attempts.
- The four other touchdowns for the Buckeyes came on the ground. J.T. Barrett tied his career high with two rushing touchdowns and Dontre Wilson and Mike Weber (first of his career) scampered in with the other two.
No. 12 Women’s Volleyball (7-2)
- Attending the Dr. Mary Jo Wynn Invitational in Missouri this weekend, the Buckeyes picked up two victories against IUPUI and Green Bay.
- Ohio State outscored IUPUI by nearly 14 points per set in a commanding three-set victory. The Scarlet and Gray (.311) outhit the Jaguars (.011) and registered a whopping 56 kills while only allowing 14.
- The Buckeyes knocked off Green Bay in a five-set thriller to close out the weekend Saturday evening. The decisive fifth set witnessed five tied scores and a pair of lead changes, the latest score swap which occurred as Ohio State surged ahead 6-5 on a block by Ashley Wenz and Madison Smeathers. Ohio State added three more tallies to their final advantage and clinched the match, 15-11.
- Taylor Sandbothe and Valeria Leon earned all-tournament honors on the All-Dr. Mary Jo Wynn Invitational Team.
Women’s Soccer (6-1)
- The Buckeyes knocked off Texas at home Friday evening 2-1 in overtime. Nichelle Prince, a senior, netted both goals for the Scarlet and Gray. The first came in the 59th minute on a penalty kick and then she banged home the game winner in the 96th minute to end the game.
- Ohio State’s 6-1 start is its best since 2007.
Field Hockey (3-3)
- Ohio State is on a three-game winning streak with victories over UC Davis and Miami (Ohio) this past week.
- Freshman Adelaide Penzone netted both game winners in each game to propel the Buckeyes to victory. On Wednesday against UC Davis, she netted the go-ahead goal in the 63rd minute and Sunday’s game clincher against Miami came in overtime.
Men’s Soccer (1-4)
- Ohio State picked up its first win of the 2016 season with a 1-0 triumph in the Big Ten season opener against Northwestern.
- Senior midfielder Ben Fitzpatrick scored his first goal as a member of the Scarlet and Gray, and redshirt freshman goalkeeper Parker Siegfried picked up his first collegiate shutout.
Ohio State Athletics Schedule
Monday, September 12
- Women’s Soccer vs. BYU, 7 p.m. – Columbus, Ohio
Tuesday, September 13
- Men’s Soccer at Penn State, 7 p.m. – University Park, Pa.
Friday, September 16
- Women’s Volleyball vs. Valparaiso, 12 p.m. – Muncie, Ind.
- Field Hockey vs. Northwestern, 3 p.m. – Columbus, Ohio
- Women’s Volleyball vs. UNC-Greensboro, 6 p.m. – Muncie, Ind.
- Women’s Soccer at Wisconsin, 8 p.m. – Madison, Wis.
- Men’s Tennis, All Day – Columbus, Ohio
Saturday, September 17
- Men’s/Women’s Cross Country, 9 a.m. – Nashville, Tenn.
- Women’s Volleyball vs. Ball State, 6 p.m. – Muncie, Ind.
- Football at Oklahoma, 7:30 p.m. – Norman, Okla.
Sunday, September 18
- Field Hockey at Louisville, 1 p.m. – Louisville, Ky.
- Men’s Soccer vs. Rutgers, 2 p.m. – Columbus, Ohio
- Women’s Soccer at Minnesota, 2 p.m. – Minneapolis, Minn.
- Rifle Alumni Match, TBA – Columbus, Ohio
- Women’s Golf, All Day – Ann Arbor, Mich.
My Gameday: Army Golden Knights
This Is Game Week: Ohio State vs. UNLV
👀📷 You in #TheShoe: Army 🏈
Ohio State Announces 2017 Schedule
Jaclyn Lee Named Big Ten Golfer of the Week
Ohio State On Campus, On the Air & Online