Department of Athletics organization chart effective July 1, 2016
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Gene Smith, Ohio State vice president and Wolfe Foundation endowed athletics director, has announced leadership changes in the Ohio State Department of Athletics.
Over the past five years, a few key leaders in the Ohio State Department of Athletics have moved on to become athletic directors, retired or announced their future retirement. Most recently long time Chief Financial Officer Pete Hagan retired and Deputy Director of Athletics Miechelle Willis announced her retirement effective June 30, 2017. Miechelle will serve as a special assistant to the athletics director during the transition period beginning July of 2016 through June of 2017.
"During my tenure I have enjoyed the opportunity to work with talented and gifted staff," Smith said. "Over the past few years, a primary objective has been to develop leaders who will maintain our ability to sustain our status as a leader in intercollegiate athletics. The impending retirement of Miechelle affords us an opportunity to reorganize, position those leaders and have her assist them in their new roles during her last year. Miechelle's 23 years of experience will be significantly beneficial in this transition."
The reorganization in the Ohio State Department of Athletics is the first since 2006.
Below are the changes that will go into effect July 1, 2016.
- Martin Jarmond, executive associate Athletics Director for Administration, will be promoted to Deputy Director of Athletics & Chief of Staff. In this capacity Jarmond will have direct oversight of the external relations areas, finance, human resources and internal operations. Jarmond also will have direct oversight of the entire department in Smith's absence and will be charged with leading the day-to-day operations.
- Janine Oman, associate AD-sport administration and performance, will be promoted to Senior Associate Athletics Director and will assume the role of our Senior Woman Administrator. Oman will provide oversight to the sport administration and sport performance areas, as well as compliance and SASSO (Student Athlete Support Services Office). Janine also will provide strategic planning direction to the department.
- Diana Sabau, senior associate AD for external relations and strategic communications, will now oversee Athletics Communications in addition to moving into the role of a sport administrator.
- Joe Odoguardi, senior associate AD-finance/chief financial officer, has gained oversight of our ticketing operations.
- Mike Penner, senior associate AD-internal operations, has gained oversight of Information Technology in addition to moving into the role of a sport administrator.
- Shaun Richard, associate AD-sport administration, has gained oversight of the ice rink and will also begin working with our Nike contract alongside Diana Sabau.
- TJ Shelton, associate AD-sport administration, has gained oversight of our student athlete career management and camps operations. He also will guide our student athlete and staff professional development planning.
- Doug Calland, head athletic trainer, has been promoted to Associate AD for Sport Performance and will now oversee Athletic Training, Strength & Conditioning and Medical Services.
- Kim Heaton, human resources director, has been promoted to Executive Director of Athletics Administration. She will assist Smith with project management, internal communication in both athletics and business advancement and support for the athletics administration staff.
The attached Department of Athletics organization chart reflects these changes effective July 1, 2016. The athletics department is currently in a transition phase while these individuals are learning their new roles until they become effective in July.
My Gameday: Army Golden Knights
Ohio State To Be Featured on "The Season"
This Is Game Week: Ohio State vs. UNLV
Buckeyes Open Fall Slate on Both Coasts
Buckeyes Take Down Maryland in Big Ten Opener
👀📷 You in #TheShoe: Army 🏈