Future Buckeyes (Prospects)
Extra Benefits and Inducements
NCAA legislation prohibits prospective student-athletes or the prospect's relatives or friends from receiving financial aid or other benefits directly from or arranged by an Ohio State staff member, coach, student-athlete or booster. This prohibition shall apply regardless of whether similar financial aid, benefits or arrangements are available to prospective students in general, their relatives or friends.
Specifically prohibited financial aid, benefits and arrangements include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Cash or like items (e.g., gift certificates).
- Tangible items (e.g., clothing, cars, jewelry, etc.).
- Loan of money, signing or cosigning loans, guarantee of bond or providing special discounts or payment arrangements on loans.
- Providing loans to a prospect's relatives or friends.
- Arranging employment for a prospect's relatives or friends.
- Promise of employment after college graduation.
- Involvement in arrangement for free or reduced charges for professional or personal services, purchases, or charges.
- An automobile or use of an automobile.
- Free or reduced-cost housing, storage or use of personal property.
- Transportation costs to prospects, their relatives or friends.
- Purchase of items or services from a prospect or the prospect's family at inflated prices.
- Providing directly or indirectly transportation to enroll in class at The Ohio State University.
- Educational expenses (other than from permissible institutional and outside sources).
- Entertaining prospects and/or the prospect's relatives or friends at any site either on- or off-campus.
Employment of Prospects
Prior to Completion of Senior Year - Nonathletics Award Winner
An institution's athletics department may employ a prospective student-athlete who is not an athletics award winner, provided the prospect is not being recruited by the institution and the employment was arranged through normal institutional employment procedures (e.g., local newspaper, bulletin board listings). Any compensation received by a prospect must be for work actually performed and commensurate with the going rate for such services in that locale.
Prior to Completion of Senior Year - Athletics Award Winners
An institution may employ a prospective student-athlete who is an athletics award winner in any department outside of intercollegiate athletics, provided the employment was arranged through normal institutional employment procedures (e.g., local newspaper, bulletin board listings) and without the intervention of any member of the coaching staff. An institution may hire a prospect, who is an athletics award winner, in its recreation programs, provided only recreation and facility managers (no intercollegiate coaches) are involved with the hiring and supervision of these employees. Any compensation received by the prospect must be for work actually performed and commensurate with the going rate for such services in that locale.
Subsequent to Completion of Senior Year
An institution may arrange for employment or employ any prospective student-athlete (regardless of athletics award winner status), provided the employment does not begin prior to the completion of the prospective student-athlete's senior year in high school.
Once a prospective student-athlete has enrolled as a full-time student in a two-year college, the arrangement of employment by an institution for such a prospective student-athlete shall be permitted, provided the employment does not begin prior to the time period in which the prospective student-athlete has officially withdrawn from or has completed requirements for graduation at the two-year college.
Transportation to Summer Job
It is not permissible for an institution or its boosters to provide a prospect with free transportation to and from a summer job unless it is the employer's established policy to transport all employees to and from the job site.
Back to the Sweet 16 Go the Buckeyes
M. Ice Hockey
No. 10/11 Buckeyes Topple No. 11/9 Minnesota, 8-3
Tomasello, Jordan Capture CKLV Invitational Titles
W. Ice Hockey
Buckeyes Topple No. 9 North Dakota 2-1
Ohio State holds off Fairleigh Dickinson 70-62
👀 🎥 WATCH: College GameDay Timelapse